In this Guide
Bed bugs are not invisible creatures, but they might as well be considering how difficult they are to find. Their bites also have an anesthetic effect so when they feed, the human host will not feel it right away and will most likely wake up baffled at the sight of red spots and welts already on his skin, which he will most likely chalk up to mosquito bites or just a bout of hives.
But here’s the thing that will tell you it’s not just a case of hives: you will keep on seeing those red bumps. Unless you deal with the infestation, the symptoms won’t go away. You might even have a big infestation problem on your hands if you don’t get rid of bed bugs right away as they can multiply overnight and even get to your other furniture and upholstery.
So how exactly does one eradicate these vile creatures?
You can always throw your mattress out but that isn’t plausible if it’s still in great condition and you bought it for thousands of dollars.
You can drown the bed bugs in chemical solution but it’s also not the most brilliant of plans if you don’t like to sleep on a mattress with chemical residues on it.
The best solution is to get yourself a steam cleaner. The heat from the steam effectively kills bed bugs hiding in the inner layers of your mattress. There’s no need to cut your mattress in half to get to these pests. The steam delves deep in the foams so that the bed bugs are killed.
But there are so many steam cleaners out there. Which one should you buy?
We took matters into our own hands and scoured the market for the best steam cleaners that truly work in getting rid of bed bugs. We chose them based on their efficacy in getting rid of bed bugs, their ease-of-use, their power and their reliability.
Our Recommendations for the Best Bed Bug Steam Cleaners
These are our top picks:
- Dupray Neat Steam Cleaner
- PureClean XL Rolling Steam Cleaner
- PurSteam Handheld Pressurized Steam Cleaner
Let’s learn more about these cleaning machines.
1. Dupray Neat Steam Cleaner
If you have an infestation on your hands, you will find this steam cleaner helpful with its ability to produce steam with temperature of up to 135 degrees Celcius or 275 degrees Fahrenheit. It’s ideal for bigger mattresses because it has a large water reservoir that allows the machine to produce steam for a longer period of time. It also comes with a 3-year warranty.
- CLEAN. DISINFECT. SANITIZE. DEGREASE. DEODORIZE. ANY SURFACE. CHEMICAL-FREE.
- POWERFUL SUPERHEATED STEAM: up to 275°F/135°C.
- LARGE CAPACITY: Up to 50 minutes of cleaning time per fill up.
- PERFECT FOR FLOOR CLEANING: use any regular towel or cloth, no need for expensive special pads!
- WARRANTY: 2 years / Lifetime on steam cleaner boiler.
- This steam cleaner really does its work in getting rid of bed bugs. Nothing can survive the heat of the steam it spews out. Along with bed bugs, dust mites and bacteria will also be eradicated.
- It comes with 18 pieces of accessories and attachments – one of the best kits we’ve found in a while. This includes floor tool, microfiber pads, extension tubes, lance and brushes.
- The boiler comes with a 3-year warranty.
- You can clean sans the chemicals. It does its work in getting rid of dirt and grime on different surfaces like tiled flooring, furniture, grout and car interiors as well.
- Many users like how they are able to clean their mattress and the rest of their house without having to refill the tank.
- It feels sturdy. You can inflict some level of abuse to it without it falling apart.
- For all the things included in it plus its cleaning performance, it’s a bargain. It’s better than many more expensive steam cleaners out there.
- There weren’t a lot of negative reviews for this steam cleaner among the users we surveyed, but some did complain about the machine being too big for simple cleaning needs.
- Some bigger attachments like the brushes have worn down faster than expected.
- A bit more expensive than similar offerings in this class, however it is also our top pick so is likely worth the extra expensive.
2. PureClean XL Rolling Steam Cleaner
This is the perfect steam cleaner to get if you are getting rid of bed bugs in a big mattress. It is light in weight, so you won’t have issues operating it and getting to those tight corners. Because of this, it is recommended for older people or those who have injuries as it is not difficult to carry and move around. It comes with 18 pieces of attachments and accessories that you will find useful in cleaning not just your mattress but other parts of your home as well. Over-all, this is a great addition to your cleaning arsenal.
- 18-PIECE HEAVY-DUTY SET: Includes all the essentials needed to effectively spot clean your home, auto, and floor, both indoors and outdoors
- ALL-NATURAL STEAM CLEANING: 1.5-liter water boiler produces up to 45 minutes of continuous hot pressurized steam to naturally eliminate grease, grime, mold, stains, and bed bugs without harsh chemicals
- SAFE TO USE ON A VARIETY OF SURFACES: Feel confident cleaning a wide range of surfaces including ceramic tile, granite, waterproof wood floor, laminate tiles, car/furniture upholstery , most cotton and wool carpet, and washable wallpaper
- EXTRA-LONG POWER CORD: Extended 16-foot power cord makes it easier to steam clean throughout your home and includes a cord wrap for compact storing
- 5 YEAR WARRANTY: Your portable steamer is covered by Pure Enrichment's industry-leading warranty and caring customer support
- This machine really does its work in cleaning stuff. The steam truly gets down in the deeper layers of the mattress. If you have a thick mattress that you want to clean, you won’t have problems with this doing its work.
- It’s just as effective in cleaning other surfaces. There are even customers who used it to clean tiles in their old home and this worked in making the tiles look like new with very minimal effort.
- The power cord is 16 feet in length and makes it easier to reach the headboard of the bed. Since it is long, it also works in reaching higher areas like your wall tiles or windows without you having to switch to another outlet.
- You will like how big the water tank is. The 1.5-liter water reservoir allows you to produce 45 minutes of pressurized steam, so you can clean without running out of steam and without needing to refill.
- It is comparatively light in weight. No hand fatigue when cleaning your heavy mattress.
- This comes with an impressive 5-year warranty. Many customers also commented on how good the customer service was. They deliver missing pieces fast and they address concerns on faulty attachments without delays.
- It has a compact design so it’s not difficult to find a storage spot for it.
- Some users we surveyed felt like the built isn’t too durable. They had to be careful in pressing the extended handle as too much force can break it.
- There are consumers who would have liked the machine to have a window for the water level as it can be difficult to determine how much water is left in the reservoir.
- It doesn’t alert you when it is ready to be used. You have to check it yourself. There are no flashing lights or buttons that will tell you if it has finished heating up.
- There are customers who complained about some parts like the gasket found in the fill valve succumbing to damages even after just a few uses.
- Some also complained about the inconsistent pressure of steam being expelled.
3. PurSteam Handheld Pressurized Steam Cleaner
This portable steam cleaner is perfect for those who want a smaller machine to clean their mattress. It is compact, but it doesn’t compromise on performance. Compared to other steam cleaners, it can produce 30% more pressurized steam. Go for this if you are looking for an effective bed bug steam cleaner that won’t bust the bank as it is one of the cheapest out there.
- ALL-NATURAL STEAM CLEANING: Hot pressurized steam eliminates grease, grime, mold, stains, and bed bugs without harsh chemicals.
- EASY HANDHELD USE: Lightweight and portable unit comes with a long 9. 8-foot cord for convenient indoor and outdoor use.
- SAFE, MULTI-PURPOSE CLEANING: Safe to use on a wide range of surfaces including ceramic tile, granite, waterproof wood flooring, laminate tiles, most cotton and wool carpets, and washable wallpaper.
- FAST-HEATING: Heats quickly with a 3 to 4-minute warm-up time.
- 9-PIECE ACCESSORY SET: Deep clean the hard-to-reach areas of your home using the heavy-duty attachments for more targeted cleaning. Extension hose for different attachments included.
- Its size is its main selling point. It’s so easy to use. You can work around your mattress with no issues. And because it is light in weight, it won’t tire you out easily.
- It delivers on its promise to produce more steam. It also works in getting rid of pesky bed bugs but is also a work horse when it comes to removing molds, deep-seated stains and grease on different kinds of surfaces. There are also owners who used this to sanitize their pillows and it worked great.
- Don’t like your steam cleaner taking up too much time to heat up? You will love this then. It takes 4 minutes to completely heat the water before it’s ready to be used.
- It comes with 9 pieces of attachments and accessories that you can use to clean all sorts of surfaces like flooring and fabric.
- This steam cleaner can be used easily on tight spaces and corners.
- Many users we surveyed who found this steam cleaner very helpful are pet owners. They liked how this steam cleaner has kept their home free from dog slobber and many other unwanted stuff.
- It comes with a clothing steamer attachment so there is no need to buy this machine separately.
- It has a safety lock. You don’t have to worry about your child getting to it and accidentally spewing hot steam.
- The cord length was not quite long enough in some users we surveyed.
- Some people had trouble following the instructions. They said there were parts that are not clear and weren’t explained properly. There also doesn’t seem to have a lot of information online about it.
- Some people experienced poor steam pressure. There were also cases where the steam produced wasn’t too hot.
- There are those who had trouble getting the attachments to work properly.
These three recommendations are the best for different types of users. But which one should you ultimately pick?
We highly recommend the Dupray Neat Steam Cleaner if you are looking for a heavy-duty, all-around steam cleaner. It’s not the cheapest but it is one of the best when it comes to its disinfecting and bed bug-eradicating performance. The number of attachments included in this also completes your cleaning arsenal, so you don’t have to buy other cleaning products anymore. If you want to get rid of deep-seated stains and grout without having to spend hours scrubbing, you will find this the perfect choice. Getting rid of bed bugs will be a breeze with any of our recommended models, however our number one pick as the best steam cleaner for bed bugs is the “Dupray Neat” thanks to its outstanding performance and affordable price tag.
The PurSteam Handheld Pressured Steam Cleaner is a mid-range steam cleaner that won’t break the bank but isn’t for people who are on a tight budget. It’s not the sturdiest but like the previous recommendation, it’s also one of the best out there when it comes to killing bed bugs in mattresses and cleaning different kinds of surfaces. It’s also easy to use and assemble. The lightweight feature will also appeal to older people who might have issues with lifting heavy objects.
On a tight budget? The PurSteam Handheld Pressurized Steam Cleaner is your best option. It’s cheap but it does not skimp on performance. It still gets the job done, killing those bed bugs and sanitizing your mattress with minimum effort. This can be the perfect option for people who only have a small mattress or house to clean.
Bed Bug Steam Cleaner Buying Guide
Need more help deciding what to get? You would want to take the following factors into consideration to make sure you are getting a steam cleaner that will solve your bed bug infestation problem:
It has to be capable in producing hot steam so that those bed bugs will die effectively without you resorting to the use of chemicals. If the steam cleaner is producing lukewarm steam, you won’t achieve good results.
Ease Of Use
Cleaning your mattress is no joke. If you’ve ever changed fitted sheets before, the feeling is a lot like that. It can feel a lot like running a marathon. Mattresses are heavy as well so make sure your steam cleaner won’t add to the challenge by being difficult to operate.
Check the attachments included. Is there one that will allow you to drive pressurized steam on the surface of the mattress evenly? Make sure this kind of attachment is included to make it easier to clean your mattress. You don’t want to use a small attachment that only cleans one meagre spot in a few minutes.
The product is only as good as its customer service. All steam cleaners will fail eventually but in case yours died down prematurely, you would want it to be backed by a good warranty and a good customer service. That’s how you can get the most out of your investment.
Does it feel flimsy? Are the parts falling off at first use? The last thing you would want is to buy one with attachments that break after just one usage. Inspect the attachments and see if they are made from heavy duty materials.
Now go and hunt down those bed bugs. There’s no reason to co-exist with them any longer.
Armed with one of our recommendations, you’ll be well on your way to conquering bed bugs in your home. Click on the links in our reviews to find out more about any of the models we’ve recommended. You can also head over to our homepage to find more helpful reviews, recommendations, and suggestions covering all your steam cleaning needs.