Nothing beats the feeling of a freshly steamed floor, especially when tackling infamous tile and grout build-up. Even though they look amazing and last for years, once your tiles and grout form grime, it can feel impossible to cut through.
We’ve learned over the last few years just how important keeping our houses disinfected and cleaned is, and grout makes a particularly cozy home for germs and dirt that makes it hard to get rid of.
That’s why we love using these steam cleaners to make the impossible job, possible. You may be wondering “is steam cleaning safe for tile and grout?”, and we’re happy to say yes, it is!
While dedicated steam cleaners for tile and grout don’t exist, these cleaners manage to come with just the right assortment of tools and capabilities that make cleaning these tough areas a breeze.
We’ll start by showing you the best steam cleaners for tile and grout, then go over some useful basics to help you decide which machine to get.
The Best Steam Cleaners for Tile Floors and Grout
Choosing the best steam cleaner for your needs isn’t only about the technology, but it’s also what users think of them, and that’s why you’ll find steam cleaners from highly trusted brands below.
Ranked by price, you’ll find quality steam cleaners within every budget that are perfect for getting the job done.
1. Bissell Steamshot: Best Handheld Steam Cleaner for Tiles and Grout
- Every Purchase Saves Pets. BISSELL proudly supports BISSELL Pet Foundation and its mission to help save homeless pets.
- Clean and Sanitize with the Power of Steam. 100 watts of steam power from a variety of hard surfaces.
- On-Demand Steam Trigger. Control the amount of high-pressure, high-temperature steam.
- Cleaning Tools Included. Comes with seven multi-surface cleaning tools: jet nozzle, (3) color-coded round bristle brushes, grout tool, flat scraper tool, and angle concentrator tool.
- Chemical-Free Cleaning. Uses water only, 100% natural cleaning is safe for kids and pets.
First, we want to draw attention to the Bissell Steamshot. Bissell has been a household name for generations and has packed a huge amount of utility in this small handheld package.
This powerful steam gun heats up in just 30 seconds, has a 6.6-ounce tank, and comes with a 20-foot power cord rivaling that of more expensive competitors.
Altogether, these features create a portable and lightweight option that allows you to take your steam cleaner wherever your tiles and grout are, whether that’s up the walls or on the floor.
It also comes 10-pieces addon kit that includes brushes, scrapers, and specialized tools, that give it great versatility.
What really captures our eye about this steam cleaner though is how adaptable it is to your home because it’s so compact.
It may not be able to handle large-scale cleaning on its own, but we believe it’s an amazing choice to pair with one of the bigger machines on our list, so no tile goes left uncleaned.
2. Steamfast SF-370: Best Steam Cleaner for Bathroom Tiles and Grout
- MAXIMUM PORTABILITY — Designed for ease of use with a 15-foot power cord with integrated cord wrap, wheels, carrying handle, and a 6. 5-foot hose that provides added reach for those hard to get to places
- 15 VERSATILE ACCESSORIES — Equipped for steam cleaning jobs in and around your home including mop pads, utility brushes, jet nozzle, squeegee, scrub tools, fill cup, and more
- LARGE CAPACITY TANK — The 48-ounce water tank heats up in 8 minutes and provides up to 45 minutes of steam
- CHEMICAL-FREE CLEANING — Naturally deep clean without the use of harsh chemicals using hot, pressured steam to eliminate grease, grime, and stains from a wide range of surfaces including ceramic tile, grout, granite, sealed wood flooring, laminate, appliances, grills, autos, and more
- SUPERIOR SUPPORT — When you choose a Steamfast product, you’re investing in superior performance and design that will deliver total satisfaction. If not, we’ll replace it, for 2 years. Supported by a customer service team based in Andover, KS
As one of the more lightweight options on our list, the ever-affordable SteamFast SF-370 may not supply the same heavy-duty powers as the expensive steam cleaners, but that doesn’t stop users from praising this machine for its expert cleaning abilities.
The SF-370 provides up to 45 minutes of continuous steam, heats up to 200°F, and comes with a 64-inch insulated hose.
As a multi-purpose steam cleaner, it cleans and sanitizes just about every surface – wood, laminate, countertops – but it has become a great budget option for focusing on grout and tiles.
All you need is water to get started, so it’s perfect for those prone to allergies as you’ll find no harsh chemicals here.
It comes with 15 attachments, including microfiber pads for the mop, a jet nozzle, a corner tool, and brass utility brushes, which are all ideal for cleaning tile and grout. It even comes with a measuring cup, so you always know how much to fill.
The one fallback is it’s not ideal for carpet or upholstery, but it’s absolutely one of the best options for bathroom tiles and grout, as well as other hard surfaces.
3. McCulloch Heavy Duty MC 1275: Most Efficient Steam Cleaner
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEED - Backed by a 2-year hassle-free warranty and supported by a customer service team based in Andover, KS.Watts:1500. Volts:120V. Amps-12.5
- CHEMICAL-FREE CLEANING - Naturally deep clean without the use of harsh chemicals using hot, pressured steam to eliminate grease, grime, and stains from a wide range of surfaces including ceramic tile, grout, granite, sealed wood flooring, laminate, appliances, grills, autos, and more
- LARGE CAPACITY TANK - The 48-ounce water tank heats up in under 8 minutes and provides up to 45 minutes of steam with optional lockable steam trigger for continuous steam cleaning
- 18 VERSATILE ACCESSORIES - Equipped for steam cleaning jobs in and around your home including a floor mop, mop pads, nylon brushes, brass brush, scrub pad, squeegee, and more
- SUPERIOR REACH - An extra-long 15. 7-foot power cord and over 9-foot steam hose provide added maneuverability and reach for those hard to get to places
The McCulloch brand is one of the industry’s favorite when it comes to steam cleaning, and the MC 1275 is no different.
While it’s made its name as a professional solution, this heavy-duty steam cleaner works perfectly for household use, especially when tackling tile and grout grime.
Customers even rave about how it beats out harsh chemicals and scrubbers when it comes to cleaning.
It heats up in a matter of minutes and has a 48-ounce tank that produces 45 minutes of continuous steam heated up to 200°F before refilling.
It also comes with a 15-foot power cord and 9-foot hose standard that’s perfect for fitting into tough to reach areas.
However, no steam cleaner is without their accessories, and in this 18-piece kit, you’ll find a jet nozzle, which is this machine’s true glory when it comes to powering through build-up on grout and tiles, along with 5 nylon brushes.
You’ll also receive a mop head and squeegee allowing you to clean floors to windows.
And when that’s not enough, take it outside to clean your grill and greasy wheels.
The price may be off-putting, but this is the best deal when it comes to getting professional-grade quality at a budget-friendly cost.
We recommend this for those who want versatility and something with a bit more power.
4. Dupray Neat Steam: Best Home Steam Cleaner for Tile and Grout
- Price: $150 — Available here
Representing one of the newer models released by Dupray, the Neat Steam Cleaner is a cube-shaped cleaner that’s meant to cover all of your essentials.
The Neat Steam comes with a large 1.6-liter tank, 16’ retractable power cord, more than 6 feet of retractable hose, and weighs around 9lbs with wheels, so you can take it wherever the tile goes.
One thing users can’t seem to get over is the quality of cleaning and sanitizing this compact machine delivers.
On the Dupray site you can see it tackling car interiors, upholstery, and even clothes, however, we want to highlight its tile and grout cleaning.
Included in its 17-piece accessory kit are microfiber cloths and pads, perfect for cleaning tiles and ceramic, and a steam lance for concentrated streams of steam when cleaning rough areas like grout.
It also comes with a brass brush for grout scrubbing and hose extensions for access to restricted access.
Overall, this futuristic-looking machine is a great all-in-one household steam cleaner that can have your tiles sparkling in no time, as well as whatever other surfaces need attention.
5. Wagner Spraytech 915: Most Versatile Steam Cleaner
- CHEMICAL FREE STEAM CLEANING: The Wagner 915e Power Steamer is a multipurpose steamer that uses nothing but chemical-free steam to remove wallpaper and clean countless household surfaces without using chemicals
- INCLUDES 18 ACCESSORIES AND NOZZLES: Use the included attachments to loosen and dissolve dirt, grease and grime on floors and carpet, grout, kitchen countertops, appliances and more
- GREAT FOR WALLPAPER REMOVAL: Easily strip wallpaper with no harsh chemicals needed. The 8 ft. steam hose provides great length for reaching tall walls while stripping wallpaper
- HIGH TEMPERATURE AND LONG RUN TIME: The steamer holds up to 40 oz. of water and heats up to 212°F (100°C) in under 9 minutes. On a full tank, it provides 40 continuous minutes of cleaning power
- EASY TO USE: Connect your attachment, add up to 40 oz. of distilled water, and turn the steamer on. The orange light will turn off when the steamer is ready for use and turn back on again during steaming when building up steam (you can continue using)
Wagner may be known for paints, but you shouldn’t sleep on their amazing steam cleaner.
The 915 cleaner is their only steam cleaner to date, but they gave it their all. It provides chemical-free cleaning all around the house on multiple surfaces, even wallpaper.
It heats water up to 212°F in under 9 minutes, holds up to 40 oz. of distilled water, and produces uninterrupted steam for up to 40 minutes.
The machine also comes with an 8-foot hose, perfect for fitting into hard-to-reach areas.
The best part though is its 18-piece set attachment kit (which no surprise includes a wallpaper removal tool), that includes a jet nozzle and brushes ideal for tackling tough grout and tile grime.
The machine itself even comes with a built-in storage container for the additional nozzles.
Because of the 915 cleaner’s high heat, it can be used on tougher jobs that others on this list may struggle with.
We’d even argue this could be a great addition to a small business that needs a powerful but compact steam cleaner for around the office or to employ on small jobs.
Plus, with the variety of tools thanks to Wagner’s history in the paint industry, this is the most versatile option on this list.
6. Dupray Tosca: Best Commercial Steam Cleaner for Tile and Grout
- Price: ~$1,000 — Available here
When standard steam cleaners don’t do the trick, that’s when it’s time to turn to the Dupray Tosca commercial steam cleaner.
This cleaner can be used effectively in both commercial and residential environments, offers up to 90 minutes of continuous steam with its 4-liter tank, and reaches temperatures up to 316°F, killing 99% of germs and bacteria.
The Tosca comes with a digital interface that displays the temperature, pressure, and maintenance notifications.
It also supports high-pressure continuous steam, low-moisture output, and adjustable pressure that’s ideal for making this industrial steam cleaner house-friendly.
This cleaner also comes with a whopping 25-piece attachment kit that includes extension tubes, microfiber cloths, nylon, plunger, stainless steel and brass brushes, and tools specialized to help with managing tile and grout.
Needless to say, this steam cleaner doesn’t come cheap, so we don’t recommend it for casual household maintenance.
Instead, this is for those that need high-grade performance to power through truly neglected tiles and grout, as well as other stubborn areas of the house.
What to Look For in Your Next Steam Cleaner
Now it’s time for the fun part where you get to choose which steam cleaner to buy, and here are four aspects we believe everyone should consider.
First, think about the temperature. The hotter the steam gets, the tougher it is on dirt and grime.
Most homes are fine with a steam cleaner that reaches around 200°F, and that includes cleaning grout, grills, and cars. But if you’re dealing with seriously neglected build-up, you’ll need to choose something with a high caliber.
The same idea goes for pressure. Most households are fine using up to 50 PSI of pressure when cleaning tile and grout, but if you know you’re dealing with intense build-up, then judge accordingly and choose a steam cleaner with higher pressure capabilities.
Next, choose a steam cleaner with plenty of attachments.
You’ll definitely want a cleaner with tools specialized towards grout and tiles, but you should also choose one with extras.
Even though we’re focusing on tile and grout cleaning, it’s important to invest in a steam cleaner that offers versatility.
Lastly, think about the budget. Most of the machines on our list are budget-friendly so you don’t have to worry about overspending, but still choose one that meets the needs of your house and wallet.
Check out our guides below for more steam cleaning tips!: