You can have the cleanest surfaces on your street, but dirty walls and ceilings may be housing germs and bacteria, or even difficult to remove mold.
Sometimes they can be near invisible, and when pet grime or dirty hand marks start to show, you will want to give them a thorough clean.
In response, many households are turning to the sanitizing results of the best wall steam cleaners and their various benefits.
What Are the Benefits of Wall Steam Cleaners?
Using a combination of high temperatures, pressure, and water, steam cleaners protect your family by killing harmful bacteria, but they will also remove grime, spots, and even mold in difficult-to-reach places.
Since mold can cause breathing problems like asthma and allergies, it’s important to get rid of it from your home — especially if you’ve got children.
The problem is, mold and mildew collect in corners and often high up, making it near impossible to remove properly.
With a long hose designed to give you more reach and specialist tools, wall steam cleaners get into every corner, removing unsightly stains whilst leaving the room hygienic.
The before and after are often shocking, with walls looking brand new compared to the tired-looking shades they were before.
What Makes Wall Steam Cleaners Special?
You may think that the spots and stains that gather on the walls and ceilings are now permanent features in your home, but the power of a steam wall cleaner means this does not have to be the case.
With around 50 psi of steam power in the palm of your hands, you can remove stubborn dirt, oil, and even those unwanted masterpieces the children have scribbled on your walls.
What makes them different from traditional methods such as scouring brushes and cleaning products is that wall steam cleaners do not require harsh chemicals to work.
They only need a tank full of water, making them safer for the family as they make those walls look fresh again.
Wall steam cleaners are versatile, working on any surface from textiles to wallpaper, they will help clean every room in your home.
Different Types Of Wall Steam Cleaners
Cylinder Steam Cleaners
The power from these wall steam cleaners is unrivaled, and it manages to offer longer steam cleaning sessions thanks to the superior water tanks with a greater capacity than steam mops.
The wheels on the bottom of the unit ensure they are easily maneuvered, which are important for taking the strain off these heavier steam cleaners when moving between rooms.
Multiple accessories and a long hose make them an excellent option for anyone looking to spruce up their ceiling and walls.
Multi-Surface Steam Cleaners
Sometimes known as two-in-one steam cleaners, they are more versatile and ideal for anyone wishing to steam clean their entire home.
Use them to clean walls and ceilings, but also take them into your bathroom and remove grime and stubborn stains from tiles and shower doors.
Handheld Steam Cleaners
The ultimate wall steam cleaner in terms of mobility, but handheld steam cleaners don’t always offer the same reach.
The convenience means they are ideal for removing stains from furniture and for close-up cleaning, but getting into the far corners of a big room can be tricky without a ladder.
Be sure to check the accessories and the length of the hose to see if it is a good fit for your steam cleaning needs.
What to Look For in a Wall Steam Cleaner
The greater the size of the tank, the longer the wall steam cleaner will go between refills. When you are halfway through cleaning the stains off the final wall in a room, the last thing you want is for the water to run out.
Anything with a 48 oz tank or similar should provide around 45 minutes of uninterrupted steam cleaning to make the ceiling and walls look their best.
Heat Up Time
The best steam cleaners will take no longer than 10 minutes to heat up. The tank needs to reach the high temperatures necessary for cleaning and sanitizing walls, but it needs to be done in a reasonable time.
This is unless the tank is particularly big, which will make any floor and wall steam cleaner less desirable because anything too bulky will be difficult to move when cleaning multiple rooms in one go.
Even with $100, you can clean drywall with a steam cleaner, so there is something for every budget. Still, the models closer to $200 will offer higher specs such as a greater tank capacity, faster heat-up time, and greater power to increase efficiency when cleaning those walls.
This can be the difference between an ordinary product, and the best steam cleaner for bathroom wall tiles and other surfaces. Attachments make a steam cleaner more versatile for example, use a brush attachment to clean stubborn grease stains from walls, then a detail nozzle to clean grout lines to leave bathroom walls sparkling.
The maximum temperature says a lot about the effectiveness of a wall steam cleaner. As long as it surpasses 200ºF it will be strong enough to lift stains from most surfaces and eliminate mold and bacteria.
The Best Wall Steam Cleaners
Because no two products are the same, we have created a list of the best steam cleaners for your walls and other surfaces.
PurSteam Handheld Wall Steam Cleaner – Most Affordable
- Multi-Purpose Cleaning — The PurSteam handheld steam cleaner machine easily and effortlessly cleans unsightly stains and stubborn dirt and grime on a wide range of surfaces. Works effectively on ceramic or laminate tiles, granite, waterproof wood flooring, and cotton or wool carpets. It's also incredible at removing grease around the kitchen sink, countertop, stove, and many other hard-to-reach areas.
- Lightweight for Portable Use — With a small and handheld design, you can easily take this steam cleaner anywhere to handle quick jobs around the house, office, garage and more. This unit includes a long 9.8 foot power cord for convenient indoor and outdoor use, making it great for cleaning your car too!
- Fast-heating Time — Give your space a 360° cleaning without the use of harsh cleaning products. This compact yet powerful whole-house cleaner tool heats quickly, and is an essential helper for the home and kitchen!
- Safe for Pets and More — Freshen up bedding and furniture with the power of this all-in-one steam cleaner. Features safety lock technology and overheating protection. This steam cleaner cleans naturally using only water, making it an ideal option for those with small children and pets.
- 9-piece Accessory Set — The Pursteam handheld steam cleaner includes a window and door cleaning tool, an ironing brush, an ironing brush cloth, a round nylon brush, a bent nozzle, a straight nozzle, an extension hose, a measuring cup and a funnel. Adjust it anyway you like to suit your cleaning needs!
With its handheld design making it easy to maneuver, and the power of steam behind it, the PurSteam handheld steam cleaner is one of the best portable options for cleaning the walls of multiple rooms.
There are 9 adjustable attachments perfect for blasting stubborn mold on bathroom walls and ceilings, and it has a 9.8 ft power cord giving it great mobility. It also heats up in just 3 minutes, weighs only 2.2lbs, and offers a steam pressure of 43 psi.
Because of its design, it doesn’t offer the longest cleaning time, but for a product that costs well under $100, it is budget-friendly and effective at removing stains from multiple surfaces thanks to the numerous accessories.
McCulloch MC1275 – Best On A Budget
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEED - Backed by a 2-year hassle-free warranty and supported by a customer service team based in Andover, KS
- CHEMICAL-FREE CLEANING - Naturally deep clean without the use of harsh chemicals using hot, pressured steam to eliminate grease, grime, and stains from a wide range of surfaces including ceramic tile, grout, granite, sealed wood flooring, laminate, appliances, grills, autos, and more
- LARGE CAPACITY TANK - The 48-ounce water tank heats up in under 8 minutes and provides up to 45 minutes of steam with optional lockable steam trigger for continuous steam cleaning
- 18 VERSATILE ACCESSORIES - Equipped for steam cleaning jobs in and around your home including a floor mop, mop pads, nylon brushes, brass brush, scrub pad, squeegee, and more
- SUPERIOR REACH - An extra-long 15. 7-foot power cord and over 9-foot steam hose provide added maneuverability and reach for those hard to get to places
If you have a sizable home, you need a sizable tank. The 48 oz capacity of the MC1275 provides 45 minutes of continuous steam, making it easier to get multiple rooms clean between refills.
The lockable steam trigger allows you to automate steam, and because the MC1275 can produce temperatures of over 200ºF, it easily removes unsightly pet stains or hand marks from your walls.
After the 8 minutes of heat-up time have passed you can remove grease from your kitchen ceiling, then blast the wall tiles thanks to the 18 attachments that are included. There is even a floor mop attachment so it will sanitize and clean any surface.
With a 15.7 ft power cord and 9 ft steam hose, the MC1275 reaches that corner mold, killing 99.9% of bacteria as it glides over the rest of the ceiling without you having to strain.
Overall, this is an affordable wall and ceiling steam cleaner that will leave your entire home cleaner and more hygienic.
Wagner 915 – Best Over $100
- CHEMICAL FREE STEAM CLEANING: The Wagner 915e Power Steamer is a multipurpose steamer that uses nothing but chemical-free steam to remove wallpaper and clean countless household surfaces without using chemicals
- INCLUDES 18 ACCESSORIES AND NOZZLES: Use the included attachments to loosen and dissolve dirt, grease and grime on floors and carpet, grout, kitchen countertops, appliances and more
- GREAT FOR WALLPAPER REMOVAL: Easily strip wallpaper with no harsh chemicals needed. The 8 ft. steam hose provides great length for reaching tall walls while stripping wallpaper
- HIGH TEMPERATURE AND LONG RUN TIME: The steamer holds up to 40 oz. of water and heats up to 212°F (100°C) in under 9 minutes. On a full tank, it provides 40 continuous minutes of cleaning power
- EASY TO USE: Simply connect your desired attachment, add up to 40 oz. of distilled water, and turn the steamer on. The orange light will turn off when the steamer is ready for use
Heavy-duty wall steam cleaner the Wagner 915 will not only clean walls but will also remove wallpaper with the right attachment.
The 8 ft steam hose and 40 minutes of continuous steam are excellent at removing cigarette stains and blasting the walls of multiple rooms in one session.
If this isn’t enough for an entire floor in one go, you only have to wait 9 minutes upon refilling the tank again.
One downside is that the hose can get a little hot after sustained periods of use, but it takes a while to get to this point.
There are 18 attachments for loosening then removing dirt that may otherwise feel impossible to remove no matter how many chemical-based products you have used.
The Wagner 915 will also get rid of grease and grime on kitchen countertops and floors.
- Price: Check price here
Fill this wall and floor steam cleaner with ordinary tap water and use the 6.5 ft steam hose to sanitize every wall in your house without the use of harsh chemicals.
It offers 45 minutes of continuous steam and has an on-demand trigger with a locking switch, so you can use it to mount a sustained attack on shower walls where grime has turned an unsightly yellow.
Because of the various attachments, when the walls are sanitized and looking their best, they can be used to spot clean barbecue grills and children’s toys.
The SF-275 weighs 10.06 lbs, making it light enough to move around your entire home without causing strain. Still, you can take an 8-minute break between refills, and filling it up is made easy thanks to the water funnel and measuring cup that prevents spills.
For some, the thick plastic covering the on/off switch that makes it difficult to see if it is ready to go can be frustrating, but this is the only notable flaw with this model.
To kill bacteria and mold, you need high temperatures to ensure they are not coming back any time soon.
With a max temperature of 220°F, the SF-275 kills both, but will also get rid of dust mites and other allergens to protect your family from developing asthma and other allergies.
Pure Enrichment PureClean – Best Wall Steam Cleaner
- Price: Check price on Amazon here
For flawless walls and ceilings, the mop head accessory of the PureClean will work seamlessly, leaving them looking their best in a few minutes. Attaching the microfiber mop will remove dirt and stubborn stains from several surfaces, even wood ceilings.
A triangular mop head makes it the best steam cleaner with wall handheld attachment and is perfect for removing mold and grime that collect in the upper corners of a ceiling. This allows you to get rid of the risk of allergens and breathing difficulties for your family.
A built-in cord wrap makes it easy to store after you’ve used the 45 minutes of continuous steam to remove everything from crayon markings to stains caused by pets claiming their favorite spot.
The 16 ft power cord makes it easy to clean large rooms and prevents you from wasting time unplugging and moving it along as you clean.
While it’s one of the more expensive options on our list, it’s also one of the strongest and most versatile, making it the best wall steam cleaner overall.
Dupray One Steam Cleaner – Best Over $200
- Price: $549 — Available here
Often heralded as the ultimate wall steam cleaner, Dupray has a deserved reputation as being the industry leader.
With a peak max temperature of 311ºF and adjustable pressure, this steam cleaner can remove even the most stubborn mold that has collected in those high corners for far too long.
The 6 ft 2 in steam hose isn’t as long as others on our list, so if you have particularly tall ceilings, it may require the use of a step ladder.
Providing 50 minutes of cleaning time with every refill, this model outperforms most of the competition, and as a lightweight option, it’s easy to move from room to room and won’t cause fatigue even after continual use.
The One Steam also packs a serious punch, with a psi of 50.8 psi to help achieve powerful stain removing steam.
It’s ideal for removing dirt from workshop ceilings and walls, grime from kitchen cabinets, and blasting doors that seem to be so dirty you can’t remember the last time they were clean.