Allergies are absolutely everywhere these days. It’s hard to find anyone who doesn’t suffer from some sort of allergy symptoms, whether they be seasonal pollen irritations or chronic dust-induced respiratory issues.
Asthma is increasingly common, too. Its irritants include many common allergens. In fact, 1 in 15 Americans are thought to suffer from it and it’s the most common chronic condition among children.
Asthma and other allergic reactions can be triggered by all sorts of allergens: mold, dust, pollen, pet dander, mites, chemicals, and so on. The one thing all these things have in common: easy to resolve through steam cleaning!
Experts agree that using a steam cleaner as part of your cleaning routine is a very important thing to do if you want your home to be safe and healthy for people with allergies.
Best Steam Cleaner for Dust Mites Overall
There are numerous steamers out there, which can effectively get rid of dust mites. However, some have superior quality accessories while others have steam temperature control options, and then some have both features!
So, from the market having an abundance of steam cleaners, each better than the previous, I bring you my pick of the best steamers for killing dust mites. Check these out below.
McCulloch MC1275 Heavy-Duty Steam Cleaner – Editor’s Choice
McCulloch MC1275 is an all-rounder steam cleaner that can clean and sanitize pretty much everything. Tough stains? Check. Dust, grime, and bacteria? Effortlessly. Dust mites? Practically made for it.
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEED - Backed by a 2-year hassle-free warranty and supported by a customer service team based in Andover, KS.Watts:1500. Volts:120V. Amps-12.5
- CHEMICAL-FREE CLEANING - Naturally deep clean without the use of harsh chemicals using hot, pressured steam to eliminate grease, grime, and stains from a wide range of surfaces including ceramic tile, grout, granite, sealed wood flooring, laminate, appliances, grills, autos, and more
- LARGE CAPACITY TANK - The 48-ounce water tank heats up in under 8 minutes and provides up to 45 minutes of steam with optional lockable steam trigger for continuous steam cleaning
- 18 VERSATILE ACCESSORIES - Equipped for steam cleaning jobs in and around your home including a floor mop, mop pads, nylon brushes, brass brush, scrub pad, squeegee, and more
- SUPERIOR REACH - An extra-long 15. 7-foot power cord and over 9-foot steam hose provide added maneuverability and reach for those hard to get to places
This steamer uses scalding steam of 200ºF, made from ordinary tap water to return your house to the allergen-free state it was initially in. Unfortunately, the water does take eight minutes to heat up, which will drag your cleaning time a bit.
With its large tank, you get around 45 minutes of steam action. This is perfect if you want to deep clean your whole house—from the drapes, mattresses, and upholstery to the rugs, every place the mites call home will be left sparkling clean.
The good thing about its high-pressure steam and long cleaning time is that it is great for extended cleaning sessions and is excellent to use in mid-size and large homes as well as for commercial use. Got a dusty office or a busy restaurant or store? You need this steamer.
It also comes with numerous accessories, including a jet nozzle, nylon brushes, floor mops, scrub pads, etc. All of which is great at fighting dust mites.
This is for those looking for a one-and-done solution. McCulloch is one of the more expensive steam cleaning brands, so this steamer is more suited for those looking to invest in a hefty steam cleaner for multipurpose cleaning.
Pros of the McCulloch MC1275 Heavy-Duty Steam Cleaner
- 10-foot hose plus a 15-foot power cord to help you reach every surface, no matter how tough
- Provides continuous steam for up to 45 minutes, which is great for extended cleaning sessions
- It has 18 accompanying add-ons that make it super versatile
- It has an indicator that lights up when the steamer is ready to use after plugging it in
- Has a storage compartment for the accessories
Cons of the McCulloch MC1275 Heavy-Duty Steam Cleaner
- It has an 8-minute heat-up time
Bissell PowerFresh Steam Mop – Best for Difficult to Reach Areas
If one brand can compete with McCulloch across all categories, it must be Bissell. The Bissell PowerFresh Steam Mop is a personal favorite, so if you want a versatile steamer for dust mites or an easy-to-use one as a beginner, this is the one to get.
- Every Purchase Saves Pets. BISSELL proudly supports BISSELL Pet Foundation and its mission to help save homeless pets..Power source type: Ac/dc
- Cleans & sanitizes* with the natural power of Steam. Uses water only to clean, remove tough, stuck on messes and eliminates 99.9% of germs and bacteria* on a variety of hard surfaces in your home. Safe to use around kids and pets.**
- Two Steam Cleaners in One. Works as a floor steam mop or a handheld steamer to clean above floor hard surfaces with the two included tools.
- Eliminates 99.9% of Germs & Bacteria* on both hard floors and above floor hard surfaces. Includes two washable, reusable microfiber mop pads
- Powerful steam ready in just 30 seconds, plus steam-on-demand triggers to control the amount of steam you use while cleaning.
This Bissell 2075A is a 3-in-1 steamer that doubles as a steam mop. Its scorching steam can get rid of 99% of the germs, bacteria, and dust mites. Making use of just water and no chemicals, this is excellent at removing all allergens from your home too.
While it does have a small water tank holding only 12 ounces of water, the heat-up time is fantastic. So you’ll be cleaning away in only a few minutes.
Coming back to what attracted us the most about it—its ability to reach difficult areas.
This steamer comes with a floor mop attachment, a long extension tube with 25 feet power cord, an angle tool, and a bristle scrub brush.
This steamer can reach every surface with ease, whether it is showerheads, behind and underneath furniture, between grills, and sliding door tracks.
Have dust mites hiding in obscure places? With this steamer, you won’t have to play hide and seek with them anymore!
The attachments are also ideal for those who experience back, shoulder, or knee joint pain as the extended attachments eliminate the need to stoop or lift your arms while cleaning.
The angle tool easily gets in tightly-packed areas so you won’t need to bend down or squat when cleaning.
Pros of the Bissell PowerFresh Steam Mop
- With its wide range of accessories and unique design, it’s effortless to clean difficult to reach areas with this
- It comes with a range of accessories that make this steamer versatile
- It eliminates 99% of the germs
- It has a removable handheld steamer that is excellent for spot cleaning and giving undivided attention to small household items
- It has an on-hand storage kit so you can carry the accessories along while cleaning
Cons of the Bissell PowerFresh Steam Mop
- It has a small water tank so it requires frequent refills during cleaning
PurSteam Steam Mop – Best for Allergens
Next up on our list is the PurSteam 12-in-1 Steam mop, an easily detachable, handheld steam cleaner—perfect for all homeowners wanting dust and allergy-free homes.
- Cleans Literally Everything! Nobody likes cleaning! But with the help of our 10-in-1 Steam Mop you can clean the whole house more quickly and easily, making it cleaner and fresher than ever! Clean a lot more than floors with the built-in handheld steam cleaner, or use the flexible hose to put the cleaning power of steam in the palm of your hand. Works great as floor Steam Mop, Carpet Cleaner, steam cleaner, handheld garment steamer window, mirror & glass cleaner & much more.
- Child & Pet Safe - Best steam cleaner for tile & hardwood, cleaning with no chemicals, leaves the floors looking new and really clean. Comes with special surface scrubber, providing versatile cleaning from Top to Bottom. Ideal for Glass, Sealed Stone, Stainless Steel, and Sealed Tile/Grout.
- Light And Maneuverable. 3 Adjustable modes help you cater the mop's steam level to your specific needs. That's especially important when you're trying to preserve your hardwood floors finish. The steam cleaner’s 380 ml (12.8 oz) reservoir provides around 25 minutes of steam at the lowest setting and about 12 minutes of steam at the maximum steam setting. One real bonus is that it uses tap water alone to steam off dirt, eliminating the need to buy pricey detergent.
- Multifunctional Household Tool - Safe to use on any surface you want to clean: hardwood floors, vinyl, tiles, marble, ceramic & porcelain tiles. Not only that, but you can also clean anything around the house with our built-in handheld steam cleaner. Just install the attachment you need and let the steam do all the work for you!
This steamer uses distilled water to clean and sanitize all surfaces, and with its adjustable steam function, YOU will be in control of the steam. This is ideal because different surfaces and floors have varying temperature and water sensitivity.
To get rid of allergens and dust mites, you need to use a temperature above 130 ºF.
This steamer goes well over that, and with the temperature control, you can steam hardwood floors and leather that require low-temperature steam while using scalding steam on other surfaces.
For this reason, this steam cleaner is the best bet you have to make your home a dust-free space. Every space can be cleaned and disinfected, from mattresses, fabrics, rugs, upholstery, and furniture to floors, countertops, and windows.
The water tank on this steamer can only hold 8 ounces of water, which puts a damper on steam cleaning large areas in one go, but on the positive side, the steamer does heat up in under a minute!
The innovative, triangular mop head is great at getting in tight spaces and corners, ensuring no spot is ignored. Get a dust-free home with this steamer that is also perfect for sensitive noses, young kids, and pets.
Pros of the PurSteam Steam Mop
- Has variable steam action
- This can be used as a handheld steamer and a steam mop
- It comes with an extension rod and 16 feet long power cord
- It’s lightweight, only 6.29 lbs, so it is easy to use and store
- A multisurface cleaner that can be used for various kinds of cleaning
Cons of the PurSteam Steam Mop
- It has a small water tank, so it will require frequent refills during steam cleaning
Shark Steam Pocket Mop – Best Value for Money
Mopping is one of the activities that give your arms a workout. A workout all of us could be better without. So, throw away your old mop and invest in the Shark Steam Pocket Mop, one of the best, most affordable, lightweight, and easy-to-use mop on the market.
- SUPER-HEATED STEAM: The Shark Steam Pocket Mop turns ordinary water into super-heated steam to remove everyday dirt and grime that other mops leave behind
- QUICK & EFFORTLESS: Get on-demand steam ready in just 30 seconds for quick & easy results.
- NO CHEMICALS OR RESIDUE: With the power of steam, you can remove grease and grime with just water — no chemicals needed and no residue left behind.
- LOCK IN DIRT: 2 machine washable microfiber pads lift and lock in dirt - no more messy mops and heavy buckets.
- COMFORT & CONVENIENCE: A soft-grip handle and comfortable design that make it easy to maneuver without physical strain.
While it doesn’t come with an abundance of accessories like many of the options we’ve listed above, it’s high-quality, heats up in seconds, and even features double-sided pads that will ensure not a single speck of dust is remaining after a few slides of this on the floor.
Why did we mention double-sided pads? In a pinch, if one side of the pads gets too dirty, you can flip it over and continue cleaning.
Weighing in at only 4.87 lbs, it’s also lightweight. So, moving it across the floor or carrying it down or up the stairs will be the easiest thing.
This is a relatively affordable, all-in-one option that would be perfect for new buyers or anyone that wishes to upgrade from a budget, handheld steamer to a more advanced option.
Pros of the Shark Steam Pocket Mop
- It has a quick-release 18-foot power cord, which provides maximum cleaning coverage
- Has two accompanying washable microfiber pads
- The steamer provides scalding heat in under 30 seconds
- It can be used on all kinds of surfaces, including hardwood floors
- It comes with a pour cup to fill the water tank with
- Excellent price for the product
Cons of the Shark Steam Pocket Mop
- The microfiber pads aren’t of the highest quality
- It does not have a power button. It needs to be unplugged to power off
PurSteam Handheld Pressurized Steam Cleaner – Best Handheld Option
Handheld steamers are excellent for beginners, those looking for the most affordable option, or spot cleaning. If you’re searching for something along those lines, look no further than the PurSteam Handheld Steam Cleaner!
- Multi-Purpose Cleaning — The PurSteam handheld steam cleaner machine easily and effortlessly cleans unsightly stains and stubborn dirt and grime on a wide range of surfaces. Works effectively on ceramic or laminate tiles, granite, waterproof wood flooring, and cotton or wool carpets. It's also incredible at removing grease around the kitchen sink, countertop, stove, and many other hard-to-reach areas.
- Lightweight for Portable Use — With a small and handheld design, you can easily take this steam cleaner anywhere to handle quick jobs around the house, office, garage and more. This unit includes a long 9.8 foot power cord for convenient indoor and outdoor use, making it great for cleaning your car too!
- Fast-heating Time — Give your space a 360° cleaning without the use of harsh cleaning products. This compact yet powerful whole-house cleaner tool heats quickly, and is an essential helper for the home and kitchen!
- Safe for Pets and More — Freshen up bedding and furniture with the power of this all-in-one steam cleaner. Features safety lock technology and overheating protection. High pressure and temp of steam may cause some material to melt, damage, or deform. Please ensure the material can withstand the high temp 221°F (105°C) and pressure. This steam cleaner cleans naturally using only water, making it an ideal option for those with small children and pets.
- 9-piece Accessory Set — The Pursteam handheld steam cleaner includes a window and door cleaning tool, an ironing brush, an ironing brush cloth, a round nylon brush, a bent nozzle, a straight nozzle, an extension hose, a measuring cup and a funnel. Adjust it anyway you like to suit your cleaning needs!
This steamer is compact and lightweight and comes with nine versatile accessories to clean various surfaces and items. While the accessories aren’t the best quality, they get the job done.
Its design and build make it super portable; you can carry this steamer anywhere in your house for a quick clean.
Have unexpected guests stopping by? This steamer heats up in a jiffy, and with pressurized steam, your dining area will be left spotless and dust-free in a few minutes. Leave your guests wondering how you always have an immaculate home!
Another reason this is one of our favorite steamers is how safe-to-use it is. This steam cleaner features two locks on the handle—one on the side and the other on the top—along with a water reservoir safety cap.
Combining its safety features with the toxic-free cleaning this steamer provides, it is the best steam cleaner for dust mites in a home with children or pets.
Pros of the PurSteam Handheld Pressurized Steam Cleaner
- It’s lightweight and durable, making it easy to carry, use, and store
- It comes with nine different accessories for various kinds of cleaning
- Produces steam of powerful pressure, ensuring no dust mite will remain standing after you’re done
- Innovative safety features
Cons of the PurSteam Handheld Pressurized Steam Cleaner
- Small water tank
- The accessories aren’t of the highest quality
Why is steam cleaning so good for dealing with allergies?
Steam cleaning is chemical-free, so people with sensitivities to cleaning products and solutions will find it much more pleasant than traditional cleaning methods.
Some of the chemicals in common household cleaners are irritating to those of us with no allergies whatsoever, so you can imagine what they’re like for folks with sensitivities!
It’s also a natural disinfectant when applied for a reasonable amount of time at the required temperatures. You can use it to kill mold spores, and prevent the growth of mildew.
It leaves far less moisture behind than mopping or traditional bucket/sponge cleaning methods, too. I
f you or a family member have allergies triggered by mold or some other bacterial presence, you should definitely make steam cleaning part of your routine.
It’s penetrative. Most things only treat the very top of a surface.
For instance, when you vacuum a mattress, you’ll snag the dust mites and allergens on the surface, but you won’t be able to do anything about the critters and allergens lurking in the mattress itself.
Steam will kill dust mites inside soft furnishings and between floorboards. It’s probably the best killer of dust mites we have!
You’ll also find that it neutralizes the allergens they feed on. While you’ll need to pair steam cleaning with a strict vacuuming regimen, it’s a one-stop shop for dealing with common allergens.
As you can see, there are very few things you can’t do with a steam cleaner when it comes to allergies! If you or someone in your home suffers from them, we highly recommend getting a canister steam cleaner to cut down on triggers.
Check out our reviews of the best models here!
How to use a Steam Cleaner to Kill Dust Mites and Allergies
We’ve mentioned numerous tips above to keep your home an allergy-free space, but by now, the best tip we can provide is: use a steam cleaner to steam away all your dust and allergy worries.
Using a steam cleaner is easy-peasy. In just a few simple steps, you’ll be on your way to a clean, dust-free house. Learn how to use a steam cleaner to kill dust mites and allergies below;
- Prepare the area you’re going to use the steam cleaner on. If your selected steam cleaner doesn’t have a vacuum option, then first use a vacuum cleaner on the designated area for large debris, pet hair, and dirt.
- Carefully read the instruction manual on how to fill up the water tank of the steam cleaner and how to use it. Be careful about using the appropriate attachments for different kinds of cleaning.
- As a rule, the smaller heads are better at spot cleaning—corners, window grills, any small spaces—while the larger heads are excellent for killing dust mites. That jet nozzle, you see? Time to whip that baby out and tell the mites to say their last prayers!
- To remove all dust mites, use the steam mop from top to bottom. Windows and curtains go first before moving on to the furniture and floors.
- The best part about a steam cleaner is that you can steam clean garments and fabric, too, so make the best use of that and steam your mattress, upholstery, curtains, sofas, and rugs.
- After you’ve erased all signs of dust mites and debris from your home, give the fabrics, bedding, and furniture time to dry before arranging them in their place.
- And, you’re done! All you need to do now is power off your steamer and let it cool down before packing it off.
Of course, steam cleaning alone isn’t a complete cleaning regimen. To control allergens and reduce symptoms, you’ll need to do a few other things. Here are our general cleaning tips and tricks to make your home allergy-free!
Vacuum at least once per week
To keep dust and other household allergens under control, you should stick to cleaning the entire place once a week. If you have pets or kids, you may find that twice-weekly cleanings are necessary.
Use a vacuum with a HEPA filter and a sealing bag! Many microscopic particles will simply pass through standard vacuum filters. Bagless models release clouds of allergens into the air when you empty their compartments, so they’re no good for allergy sufferers.
Cut down on clutter
Clutter attracts dust, so the less you have the better! Try and eliminate nicknacks around the house. Be sure to clean those you keep regularly, as they’re magnets for all kinds of allergens.
Find ways to eliminate unreachable zones
The idea here is to cut down on or eliminate areas of your house that you can’t easily reach with the vacuum.
For instance, pull the futon 1 foot out from the wall, so you can easily vacuum behind it. Try to eliminate corners that are hard to reach.
You want to be able to cover all your floor space when you vacuum or the dust from the uncleaned portions will simply spread onto the cleaned bits
Clean all fabrics thoroughly and regularly
Nothing traps allergens like a good piece of fabric! That’s why it’s important to launder all of the fabrics in your household as often as you can.
Do the same with your bedding. Wash your shower curtain, kitchen towels, and other household linens every week.
If you’re not using a washable shower curtain already, get one! They’re super easy to keep free of mildew and mold. Always use hot water and high-temp dryer settings to kill dust mites, germs, and mildew!
Use a mask when you clean, if you have allergies yourself.
You’ll find that it makes a big difference, especially when you tackle dusty areas.
Spray the shower down with vinegar to prevent mold between cleanings.
This is a surprisingly effective trick, and only takes 30 seconds a day. It makes grout last a lot longer, too.
A lot of people ignore their baseboards, or just wipe them down once a year.
The air fins inside baseboard radiators collect dust like crazy, so you want to break that habit. At least every 6 months, you should take the front plates off your baseboard heaters and vacuum the pipes and fins thoroughly.
You’ll eliminate lots of allergens, and you’ll make your heaters run more efficiently at the same time.
Avoid air-drying clothes unless you have a quite dry, warm house
Air-drying in cold, damp spaces is a mildew risk, so only do so if you know things dry within a day. Avoid hanging things outside, too. That’s just an easy way of catching pollen.
Start cleaning entryways
So many of us clean our living space, but not the walk, stairs, or mudroom. The cleaner you keep those entry spaces, especially where you’re taking shoes on and off, the fewer the allergens that will be tracked into your home.
Stop wearing shoes indoors!
A surprising number of Americans still wear shoes in the house, and it’s incredibly unhealthy. Think about just a few of the places you walk on a daily basis.
Whether it’s the sticky subway car flooring or chewing gum on the sidewalk, you’re certain to be tracking around gross germs and filth on your shoes. Leave them outside! It’s much more sanitary, and you’ll track in much less pollen seasonally.
Try to eliminate allergen magnets in your home
While a certain amount of dust and pollen is inevitable in any house, you can help yourself out by cutting down on places and materials in your house where allergens are likely to accumulate.
Get rid of rugs and carpets, to start.
They just serve as a storage space for allergens. Stick to small, washable rugs that can go through your washer and dryer! Drapes and horizontal blinds are allergen magnets, too.
Switch to roll shades and stacked blinds, preferably made from wood or another solid material.
The key thing is to avoid soft furnishings that can’t be washed. If you have a futon or couch, find a nice covering for it that you can run through the washer/dryer each week.
So, Which is the Best steamer?
We’ve listed five of our picks above as well as our top choice from among them. Personally, us favoring McCulloch has a lot to do with it being suitable for deep cleaning and getting rid of more than just dust mites.
When you’re choosing a steamer for dust mites for yourself, your reasons could be different than ours. You could want a more affordable option, a handheld one, or any other requirement. We have listed the top steamers across various categories to get rid of dust mites.
Go through the reviews above and see which steamer matches your needs. The good thing is all of these steam cleaners can be found on Amazon and their respective company websites.