Cleaning the bathroom is always a pain. Nobody enjoys having to get out a cloth and cleaning products and using elbow grease to get rid of the soap scum, stains, and grime that seems to cover all of your fixtures and fittings.
However, there is now an easier and more efficient solution that you can take advantage of. There is a simple way to clean all the surfaces of your bathroom without needing to use any chemical cleaning products at all – a steam cleaner!
When it comes to a deep clean, bathroom environments are usually scrubbed by hand, using chemicals and bleaches. However, bathroom steam cleaners represent a better and safer way, and is proven to sanitize just as effectively as any chemical solution.
A healthier choice for everyone, it is also a cost-effective option since it means no more buying any expensive cleaning supplies.
It is also an eco-friendly choice since no cleaning chemicals will be released into the atmosphere or washed down into the water supply through the drains.
If you want to know more about how to use a steam cleaner to clean your bathroom, read on and find out about the best models to use, the kind of tasks you can accomplish, and the chores which you won’t be able to use steam for.
The 5 Best Bathroom Steam Cleaners to Invest in
After trying out numerous steam cleaners, I’ve finally curated my list of the top steam cleaners for bathrooms.
McCulloch’s MC1385 Deluxe Canister – Editor’s Choice
My top pick for bathrooms and showers has to be the McCulloch MC1385. We love McCulloch on this site, and after reading my review, I’m sure you’ll be a die-hard fan too.
- CHEMICAL-FREE CLEANING — Naturally deep clean without the use of harsh chemicals using hot, pressured steam to eliminate grease, grime, and stains from a wide range of surfaces including ceramic tile, grout, granite, sealed wood flooring, laminate, appliances, grills, autos, and more..Max Steam Time: 90 min. Watts : 1500. Volts : 120V
- 23 VERSATILE ACCESSORIES — Equipped for steam cleaning jobs in and around your home including a floor mop, mop pads, nylon brushes, brass brush, angled nozzle, scrub pad, scraper, squeegee, and more. Conveniently store accessories on-board or in included storage bag. Integrated cord wrap
- LARGE CAPACITY TANK — The 64-ounce water tank heats up in under 12 minutes and provides up to 120 minutes of steam. Blast away dirt and grime with on-demand variable steam control, optional steam lock for continuous steam, and 4 bar (58 PSI) pressure. Hertz : 60 HZ
- GREATER REACH — Extra-long 18-foot power cord and 10-foot steam hose provide added maneuverability and reach for those hard to get to places.
- SUPERIOR SUPPORT — When you choose a McCulloch product, you’re investing in superior performance and design that will deliver total satisfaction. If not, we’ll replace it, for 2 years. Supported by a customer service team based in Andover, KS.
This upgraded McCulloch model has a 64-ounce water tank capacity, which gives you two hours of powerful steam. This means you can sanitize and clean all the bathrooms in one go without stopping midway for a refill.
Not just that, you can use any of the 23 accompanying attachments in the same go as well.
Let me tell you when I saw 23 attachments listed, I knew Mcculloch was coming in hot with another awesome steamer!
The attachments include a squeegee that is perfect for cleaning the bathroom mirrors, floor mop and mop pads to wipe the bathroom floors for when you’re done steaming, and my favorite, the angled nozzle attachment.
With this, you can steam clean your toilet, sink, bathtub, and showerhead easily, without having to bend over or crouch down to get the angle right.
One of my favorite features about this steamer has to be the steam lock for continuous steam.
Bathrooms require the most time to clean, and there’s nothing more annoying than ending up with aching fingers and wrist. Other steamer companies, take note. This is how you build a steamer!
Cleaning up the bathroom tiles or hardwood floors is easy-peasy with the on-demand variable steam control that lets you switch between temperatures.
With the mentioned accessories, you can scrub, sponge, and wipe away all the muck and dirt from the bathroom windows, showers, and bathtubs.
It’s evident I love this steamer, but I am disappointed by the steam pressure.
To clean grout and shower drain, you need excellent steam pressure, which, unfortunately, this does not have. But, otherwise, this steamer gets an A grade from me.
Pros of the McCulloch MC1385
- You can use this multipurpose steam cleaner to steam and mop numerous surfaces and items
- It has an on-demand steam control that lets you choose between a range of steam temperatures, making it ideal to use on substances that have low heat tolerance
- It comes with 23 add-ons that include a floor mop, mop pads, angled nozzle, scrub pad, scraper, squeegee, and more. With the squeegee attachment, you can wipe away the stains and dirt on bathroom windows
- It has a 4-bar pressure control bar to control steam pressure. This is excellent for cleaning bathroom tiles, showerheads and water taps, and bathtubs
Cons of the McCulloch MC1385
- The steam pressure isn’t the best, so it’s not ideal for cleaning grout
- It doesn’t have a vacuuming function, which isn’t a problem but would have been a welcome addition. If you require a vacuum function too, this isn’t the steamer for you
Comforday Multi-Purpose Handheld Pressurized Steam Cleaner – Best Handheld Bathroom Steam Cleaner
The Comforday handheld pressurized steamer is perfect for all those that want a budget-friendly, light and compact, and pressurized steamer.
- ★Multi-surface use: Our handheld steam cleaner unit is best suited for sealing surfaces and can be used on all surfaces including laminate, hardwood, fabric, upholstery, wallpaper, cars, windows, ceramics, linoleum, glass, marble and granite.
- ★Powerful hot steam: 1050W of power, emits pressurized powerful hot steam 105-110℃(220-230°F) for up to 8-12 minutes with our high pressure steamer. This is a convenient and efficient steam cleaners for home use.
- ★Nine free accessories: Our powerful handheld steam cleaner Set includes an exclusive free 9 pieces accessory kit. Extended Nozzle, Spray Cup with Brush, Bent Spray, Funnel, Measuring Cup, Spray Cup for Door and Window, Towel Sleeve, Brush Plate, Long Spray Cup.Tools adapt cleaner to every situation, including stairs, carpet, clothing, car interior and rims, etc. Gets into hard to reach areas.
- ★Versatile: This handheld pressurized steam cleaner for home use is an all in one streamer. It can be used indoors or outdoors. It can handle the largest dirt such as cement, grease and stains easily and quickly. We also provide extended nozzles to extend mobility and improve coverage!
- ★Chemical free and safe: The Comforday steam cleaner is completely chemical free,Includes a safety lock on the handle and a safety cap for added peace of mind for your safety!
This is also perfect for spot cleaning, so if your focus is to make your grout spotless, make the bathroom windows gleam, and use the steamer around the house, this one is for you.
Small homeowners rejoice because, with this Comforday model, you get pressurized, hot steam that can go up to 250-270ºF.
Your stained grout and bathroom tiles won’t stand a chance against this steamer! At this temperature, it will clean and disinfect alongside too. This makes it perfect to use to clean up the toilet too.
Be wary of using this on hardwood floors or any temperature-sensitive items or surfaces because, at this temperature, you could incur some severe damage.
That aside, it has nine add-ons that make post-steam cleaning easy. The best thing about this steamer is that it has a safety lock and safety cap.
Got children? Pets? Worried about yourself getting burned? This steamer covers all of this with its safety mechanism!
This is one of the best, compact options for steam cleaners for showers and bathrooms.
Pros of the Comforday Multi-Purpose Handheld Pressurized Steam Cleaner
- This steamer has a quick heating time. It’s ready to steam within 3-4 minutes of heating up!
- Its accessories include a long extended hose and long spray nozzle, which makes it easy to clean hard-to-reach surfaces like underneath the sink, grooves between the bathroom tiles, and other places
- Light and compact, making it easy to use and store
- Affordable price
- One of the best steamers on the market for cleaning tiles and grout
Cons of the Comforday Multi-Purpose Handheld Pressurized Steam Cleaner
- It has a small water tank, meaning you only get 15-20 minutes of steam time. This isn’t the best steamer for large homes, is more suitable for houses with few rooms, or spot cleaning
- You have to wait for nearly an hour to refill as the water tank is too hot to touch
Dupray Neat Steam Cleaner – Best Bathroom Steam Cleaner for Tiles and Grout
The Dupray Neat Steam Cleaner is one of the most popular steamers on the market, having thousands of positive reviews on Amazon alone.
- STEAM CLEAN. DEGREASE. DEODORIZE. ANY SURFACE. BETTER.
- POWERFUL STEAM CLEANER: up to 275°F/135°C. Best multi purpose steamer for home, cars and more.
- HEAVY-DUTY & LARGE CAPACITY: Up to 50 minutes of cleaning time per fill up.
- PERFECT FOR FLOOR CLEANING: use any regular towel or cloth, no need for expensive special pads!
- 2-year Limited Warranty / Lifetime Warranty on steam cleaner boiler.
This steamer comes with a large capacity water tank, 54 ounces, giving you almost an hour of cleaning time.
You’ll get all the bathroom cleaning done in one fill-up, and with the steam temperature of 275ºF, every spot will get disinfected. The dirty grout that has frustrated you for so long? Not anymore!
Stained bathroom floors are a common problem for most households. Naturally porous substances like granite and marble tiles and grout quickly soak up spills, leaving behind unsightly stains.
Dupray will eliminate this problem and make your tiles and grout shine like new.
Because of its size and build, this steamer is perfect for small to mid-sized homes. You can use it around the house without frequent refills, and it’ll be easy to store too.
With the accompanying 17 attachments, you can clean various surfaces and items than just your bathrooms — kitchen, ovens, grills, car seats, furniture, mattresses, floors, and even steam out the wrinkles from your clothes.
One complaint that I’ve had with most steamers is the lack of a water level indicator, without which spills occur when filling up the water tank.
Luckily, this comes with a built-in funnel, so say goodbye to messes!
However, that isn’t the only convenient thing about it; with its smooth-rolling wheels, 6ft 6in steam hose, and 16ft power cord, you can clean any area without any struggle.
Storing this compact and lightweight steamer shouldn’t be a hassle, it even has cable storage. However, it has no such storage option for the steam hose, becoming annoying.
Besides that, since it holds a lot of water, it takes around 8 minutes to heat up, which can seem much, seeing its small frame. But, all-in-all, this is one awesome bathroom steamer that you should check out.
Pros of the Dupray Neat Steam Cleaner
- Because of the high temperature, it can quickly kill all kinds of organic growth, germs, bacteria, and get rid of dust, dirt, and grime
- It comes with 17 valuable add-ons that include a floor tool, nylon and brass brushes, microfiber cloths and pads, window tool, fragrance disks, and many more
- It has a digital control display to control its functioning
- Its smooth-rolling wheels and long power cord make it easy to maneuver and roll across different places
- It has an attractive, minimalistic appearance
Cons of the Dupray Neat Steam Cleaner
- It’s challenging to clean very old stains with this. You’ll have to mop and brush the places extensively after steam cleaning
- The heat-up time is around 8 minutes, which isn’t convenient if you’re in a rush
- It has a 20+ minute cool-down time
BISSELL SpinWave – Perfect for Quiet Cleaning
The Bissell SpinWave is the perfect model for those that can’t stand loud noises and enjoy quiet and peaceful cleaning.
Like McCulloch, we’re all fans of Bissell around here too.
Every steamer is reliable, sturdy, and is packed with numerous unique features. This one isn’t any different.
With the Bissell Spinwave, you get a sophisticated electric mop that can clean any kind of floor — sealed and unsealed hardwood plus tiles.
So if your bathroom has hardwood flooring, look no further than this.
Because of how quiet it is, SpinWave is perfect for those with excitable pets, infants or young children, the elderly, or people with sensitive ears.
You can clean any time of the day without the fear of rousing someone or becoming annoyed by a constant whirring noise.
I tend to daydream and enjoy my time cleaning, so I know I’d love a noise-free steam cleaner!
Moving on to its specs, it comes with a removable water tank that can hold up to 28 fluid ounces of water. This is less when compared to other steamers.
Unfortunately, this also means less steam time, so you’ll have to refill it if you’re looking to clean large spaces.
Otherwise, this is the perfect steam mop for bathrooms and showers because it includes two rotating mops and the famous Bissell cleaning formula to remove all grime, dust, dirt, and organic growth.
It also has a moisture-control feature that lets you control the amount of water released. This is perfect for steaming across different surfaces.
Moving from the wooden bathroom window panes to the hard floor? You can now adjust the temperature and moisture, so no damage ever occurs.
Pros of the BISSELL SpinWave
- Given how powerful this is, it’s surprisingly quiet. You’ll worry if it’s working right with how quiet it is!
- It comes with washable mop pads that make moping bathroom floors effortless
- SpinWave is built with swivel steering and weighs only eleven pounds, making it easy to clean across packed spaces and decorations/furniture
- The accompanying eight ounces multi-surface formulas disinfect all surfaces making them safe to use. This is perfect for toilets, sinks, bathroom floors, and bathtubs
- As with all Bissell products, this also has a two-year warranty. This is perfect for everyone but especially if you’re a first-time user of steam cleaners
Cons of the BISSELL SpinWave
- It has a small capacity water tank
- The power cord could be longer. When moving between rooms, you’ll find yourself having to alternate between outlets
Wagner Spray Tech 915 Power Steamer – Best Bathroom Steam Cleaner for Wood Flooring
This is one of the best multi-purpose steam cleaners on the market, and if your bathroom could speak, it would thank you for getting this steamer!
- CHEMICAL FREE STEAM CLEANING: The Wagner 915e Power Steamer is a multipurpose steamer that uses nothing but chemical-free steam to remove wallpaper and clean countless household surfaces without using chemicals
- INCLUDES 18 ACCESSORIES AND NOZZLES: Use the included attachments to loosen and dissolve dirt, grease and grime on floors and carpet, grout, kitchen countertops, appliances and more
- GREAT FOR WALLPAPER REMOVAL: Easily strip wallpaper with no harsh chemicals needed. The 8 ft. steam hose provides great length for reaching tall walls while stripping wallpaper
- HIGH TEMPERATURE AND LONG RUN TIME: The steamer holds up to 40 oz. of water and heats up to 212°F (100°C) in under 9 minutes. On a full tank, it provides 40 continuous minutes of cleaning power
- EASY TO USE: Connect your attachment, add up to 40 oz. of distilled water, and turn the steamer on. The orange light will turn off when the steamer is ready for use and turn back on again during steaming when building up steam (you can continue using)
Wagner, a company renowned for making painting products, also specializes in steam cleaners. Hence The Wagner Spray Tech has over ten thousand reviews on just Amazon.
This is the perfect bathroom steam cleaner, especially for bathrooms with hardwood floors, because the steam is the ideal temperature for cleaning the floors but isn’t hot enough to cause damage to them.
Along with that, it also comes with 18 high-quality accessories that can loosen and dissolve grime, mop attachments to wipe and dry the wooden floors, and brush accessories to make your toilets, windows, and taps sparkle.
With so many plus points, it’s a shame that this steamer doesn’t get as hot as other steamers on this list.
Having a maximum steam temperature of 212ºF, this steamer will require some elbow grease to clean up difficult stains, especially on tiles and grout.
Pros of the Wagner Spray Tech
- This is lightweight, so it’s easy to use and store
- Excellent steam pressure that is ideal for blasting out dirt from between tiles, out of door jams, and other nooks and crannies
- It’s easy to maintain and clean this steamer
- The attachments are easy to switch between
- It is exceptionally durable and can withstand rough handling. That isn’t advisable, of course. Please don’t throw this steamer down the stairs as a test just because I said it could bear it!
Cons of the Wagner Spray Tech
- It doesn’t offer the highest steam temperature
- The nozzle head can get hot, so careful handling is advised
How to Use a Steam Cleaner in a Bathroom
A steam cleaner is the easiest thing in the world to use. Most steam cleaners operate in the same way, so the mechanics will remain the same whether you’re using it in your bathroom or elsewhere.
Below is a step-by-step breakdown of how to use a steam cleaner in a bathroom
- Assemble the Steam Cleaner
Most steam cleaners come with plenty of attachments, each having different uses. But, don’t worry, in the steamer manual, you’ll find exactly what each attachment does so you can decide which one you want to use.
The nozzle brushes, particularly the jet nozzle, are excellent tools for steam cleaning sinks, toilets, and bathtubs. This might be a great place to start.
- Fill up the water tank
To fill the water tank, remove the tank’s cap and start filling the steamer up with tap or distilled water.
Usually, you’ll find a funnel and cup in the attachments, which you can use to fill up the steamer’s water tank. If there are none, that’s okay! Use a pipe or any pot/cup to fill the water tank till full. Afterward, twist the cap back in place.
- Plug the steamer in any outlet and turn it on
Unless the steamer is cordless, you’ll need to plug it in to get it to start. Many steamers have a light switch that indicates when they’re switched on.
- Steam away
That’s all there is to it! You can now steam clean to your heart’s content.
- Cleanup and storing
After you’re done steaming, power off the steamer, release the built-up pressure and let the steamer cool down.
Wait for 30 mins to an hour for your steam cleaner to cool down. This point is critical, and if you’re not careful with this, you might end up with a burn.
After the steamer has cooled down, you can wipe it down and store it wherever you want.
That’s all! Now, you know how to steam clean a bathroom! Or any other place too.
Why Use A Steam Cleaner In Your Bathroom?
Steam cleaning is a chemical-free, effective choice for cleaning your bathroom. Thanks to its pressurized stream of hot vapor, it can handle difficult jobs all around the space in a cost-efficient, effective way.
Some of the jobs that it can accomplish include:
Tiled walls and floors in bathrooms can see plenty of mildew and mold forming which can be hazardous to health as well as unattractive to look at.
While tiles are impermeable to liquids, the grout that lies between them is not as sturdy and the gunk which, over time, embeds into its pores hardens and becomes hard to clean using traditional techniques.
Even using brushes and chemicals may not get the job done. A steam cleaner is the ideal solution and will get grouting and tiles looking great.
Exhaust Fan Vents
You can use a canister steamer with a hose extension or a handheld model to reach exhaust fan vents, removing pet hair, lint, and other debris.
Glass And Blinds
You can steam clean your bathroom blinds, windows, shower panels, and mirrors using steam in the same way as you would clean a wall fixture or ceiling.
A canister or handheld model can do the job effectively.
By using a canister with a hose extension or a handheld steamer, you can clean the lights in your bathroom efficiently.
Shower curtains are often very creased when they are taken out of their packaging, however a portable cleaner can smoothen them out effectively, whether it is made from plastic or fabric.
A steam unit will also remove the soap scum and mold which can build up on shower curtains to make them look as good as new.
Countertops And Sinks
Hard water deposits and limescale distress counters and sinks, leaving a grimy coating on the fixtures and brown spots around drains.
You can use a steamer to clean the whole sink area and get it sparkling bright.
Bath Tubs & Shower Stalls
A steamer can dissolve hard water stains and soap scum, and can restore the shine to your fixtures, doors, and screens.
Calcium and limescale build up on toilets, causing urine waste to be crystallized into a brown coating which is hard to remove.
A steamer assists to remove these messes and makes your toilet look as good as new around its exterior.
Linoleum & Vinyl Flooring
A mop attachment on a steam cleaner can sanitize and mop your vinyl or laminate flooring effectively, while a steam mop can also do the job efficiently.
What Can A Steam Cleaner Not Do?
Although a steam cleaner can accomplish most jobs around the bathroom, there are a few things that it cannot do.
It cannot unblock a clogged toilet or drain, and cannot be used inside a toilet bowl.
A steam cleaner also cannot be used on any surface which has been painted with water-based paint, and no thin plastics, delicate fabrics, paper products, or electronic items should be steam cleaned since this could cause damage.
What To Look For In A Steam Cleaner For Your Bathroom
When choosing a steam cleaner for your bathroom, you will need to look for a few different features that will make the job easier. These include:
- A large nozzle
- High pressurized steam
- A larger tank volume
- On demand control
- An extended electrical cord and hose
- An affordable price
If you are looking for a steam cleaner that is only for your tiled or vinyl bathroom floors, you should consider investing in a steam mop.
This is the best choice of model to handle this simple task since steam mops have been designed specifically to get into tight corners and to clean flooring efficiently.
However, if you are looking for a steam cleaner that will accomplish a broad spectrum of tasks around your bathroom, from cleaning your light fittings and fan vents to your shower stall and faucets, a canister model is the best choice since it comes complete with a range of attachments and offers the versatility you need to get a range of jobs done.
Once you have found the right steam system to use in your bathroom, you are sure to see the difference and have a much better experience.
Closing Remarks – Which is the Best Bathroom Steamer for You?
For me, the best bathroom steamer has to be McCulloch’s MC1385 Deluxe Canister.
It has a big enough tank that I can easily clean all the bathrooms in one go. Besides that, the hot temperature guarantees that not a single spot will remain unclean.
Not only can I use it in the bathroom and shower, but I can also easily clean the rest of my house with it too!
But, what works for me doesn’t need to be your top choice too. Go through the reviews and see which of the steam cleaner fulfills your requirements and then splurge on it. Because trust me, a steam cleaner will change your life!
You can purchase all the steam cleaners from their respective websites and on Amazon.