Did you know the average person spends nearly half of their lifetime in bed? So, in order to avoid the mass amount of build-up that’s sure to cause, you need a steam cleaner.
More specifically, our tried and tested favorite, the Comforday Multi-Purpose Pressurized steamer.
As a long-time mattress owner (and a clumsy one at that), I’ve dealt with true mattress horrors – bed bugs, unidentifiable stains, you name it. But in order to combat those horrors and extend the life of my mattress, I turn to steam cleaners.
The Comforday Multi-Purpose Pressurized steamer struck us as the best steam cleaner for mattresses because of its versatility. This machine will work its way into any nook and cranny and comes with loads of useful accessories to ensure you get the job done.
However, we know not every mattress or bedroom setup is the same, and each has its own unique circumstances that need to be filled. From dead skin cells, mites, and bed bugs to allergies and foul odor.
Keep reading for a complete list of options to find the best steam cleaner for you.
The Best 5 Steam Cleaners for Mattresses
Comforday Multi-Purpose Pressurized Steamer – Editor’s Choice
- ★Nine free accessories to adapt cleaner to every situation: Stairs, carpet, clothing, car interior and rims, etc. Gets into hard to reach areas
- ★Multi-surface use: Works on every surface including laminate, hardwood, fabric, upholstery, ceramic, linoleum, glass, marble and granite
- ★Chemical free and safe: The Comforday steamer is safe. It is completely chemical free and it is secured with a safety lock and safety cap
- ★Powerful hot steam: Quicksteam technology offers 1050W, pressurized hot steam (105℃) up to 15-20min
- ★Cuts through dirt: Tackle the biggest messes such as grout, grease and stains easily and quickly
The first steamer on our list—and our top pick— is the Comforday Multi-Purpose steamer. One of the main reasons why we love this steam cleaner is because it promises to squeeze into difficult spaces and clean every inch of your mattress.
Have your bed pressed up against the wall, or there isn’t much walking space behind it? With this compact device, you won’t have to worry about that!
Besides that, this mattress steamer comes with nine useful accessories; a measuring cup, funnel, window brush plate, extension hose, bend spray cup, fabric steam tool, long spray nozzle, brush head, and towel sleeve.
These appear confusing but are essential to get the most out of your deep cleaning. With these combined, you can say goodbye to stains, bad smells, hair, and dead skin!
This steamer boasts an 11.8 oz tank capacity and steam that reaches 270ºF, giving you 15-20 minutes of high-pressure steam. So, you won’t have to worry about constantly refilling this mattress cleaner.
If you’re still on the fence about this steamer, it’s one of the most affordable on our list; you get quick, effective cleaning without denting your pocket.
- User-friendly and good looking design
- Can also clean carpets, car seats, counters, and floors
- It comes with 9 accessories
- It makes difficult cleaning jobs easy with high-temperature cleaning
- It doesn’t emit any toxins or bad smells
- Good water tank capacity
- The cord is short
Bissell SteamShot Steam Cleaner – Best Budget Pick
- Every Purchase Saves Pets. BISSELL proudly supports BISSELL Pet Foundation and its mission to help save homeless pets.
- Clean and Sanitize with the Power of Steam. 100 watts of steam power from a variety of hard surfaces.
- On-Demand Steam Trigger. Control the amount of high-pressure, high-temperature steam.
- Cleaning Tools Included. Comes with seven multi-surface cleaning tools: jet nozzle, (3) color-coded round bristle brushes, grout tool, flat scraper tool, and angle concentrator tool.
- Chemical-Free Cleaning. Uses water only, 100% natural cleaning is safe for kids and pets.
If you’re concerned about spending money on something you’re not even sure you need, then check out the Bissell SteamShot.
This is one of the most affordable, versatile, and popular mattress cleaners in the market, having more than 20 thousand reviews on Amazon alone!
This is a chemical-free steamer that you can use to clean not only your mattress but furniture, floor, and car seats too! The best thing about this compact yet powerful beast is the easy-to-press trigger.
This seems gimmicky, but it prevents finger fatigue that you would otherwise experience with other mattress cleaners.
This is especially true if you have many mattresses and furniture to clean. Imagine having to press a button for hours. But, with this, you won’t have to!
This steamer comes with an extended nozzle for difficult-to-reach areas, a measuring cup for quick refills, color-coded brushes, a scrapping tool—and our favorite part—a 16-foot power cable.
Forget the worries about having to constantly plug it into different sockets as you move across rooms.
If you’re curious why this steamer includes a scraper, it’s for effectively removing grout and mold from your kitchen and bathrooms. This steamer is the perfect bang for your buck!
- Has powerful pressure for proper deep cleaning and to produce high steam temperature
- Compact and lightweight, so easy to carry around
- It comes with useful accessories
- 30-second heat-up time
- Extension hose is not included
- Frequent refills are required
Comforday Handheld Steam Cleaner – Lightweight Option
- ★Free 9 Accessories: Our Powerful Handheld Steam Cleaner Set includes an exclusive FREE 9 pieces accessory kit which includes: Extended Nozzle, Spray Cup with Brush, Bent Spray, Funnel, Measuring Cup, Spray Cup for Door and Window, Towel Sleeve, Brush Plate, Long Spray Cup.
- ★Multi-Purpose Use: Our handheld steam cleaner unit is best suited for sealed surfaces including ceramic, vinyl, laminate, granite, marble, hardwood floors, and it’s great for sinks, stoves, counter tops, refrigerators, kitchen, floor, living room, windows, toilet, tiles, shower curtains, bathroom, pet toilet, car seats and rims, grill, BBQ, kids toy, mattresses, linen, duvet cover, fabric and sofa cleaning and remove peculiar smell without second contamination. Best Al
- ★Safe: 100% free with no harmful fumes or residue. Includes a safety lock on the handle and a safety cap for added peace of mind for your safety! Easy and ecological sanitizing in seconds!
- ★Guarantee: This handheld pressurized steam cleaner is an all in one streamer. It can be used indoor or outdoor. Your satisfaction is our guarantee, if you aren't happy with your purchase for ANY reason, let us know so we will provide your money back within 30 days. REMEMBER YOUR SATISFACTION IS OURS. Are you ready to try it out? ORDER IT NOW Don't MISS this!
Comforday has a knack for making the best steam cleaners, which is why we have another Comforday mattress steamer on our list.
Like all Comforday variants, this doesn’t produce any harmful fumes or toxins, making it safe to use on not only your bed but also your children’s and pet’s mattresses. Plus, with this, you can deep clean your bed and your whole house!
This multi-purpose cleaner is suitable for bathrooms, cooking grills, furniture, pets’ bed and toilets, kitchens, and of course, mattresses.
The accessories that come with it include a towel sleeve, long spray cup, brush plate, funnel, measuring cup, and more.
This steamer has a tank capacity of 8.5 ounces, which isn’t the largest on our list but is still very generous compared to other mattress cleaners.
The best part about this steamer has to be its hand-held feature. It’s so compact and lightweight that you can use it both inside and outside. So now, you can deep clean your car too!
- Lightweight, making it easy to carry anywhere
- Effective locking system, so no worry about burns or spills
- You can use it on multiple surfaces
- Nine useful accessories
- It doesn’t reach hot enough temperatures to sanitize successfully
- Short cable length
McCulloch MC1375 Canister Steam System – Good for Removing Stains
- CHEMICAL-FREE CLEANING — Naturally deep clean without the use of harsh chemicals using hot, pressured steam to eliminate grease, grime, and stains from a wide range of surfaces including ceramic tile, grout, granite, sealed wood flooring, laminate, appliances, grills, autos, and more..Watts:1500. Volts:120V
- 20 VERSATILE ACCESSORIES — Equipped for steam cleaning jobs in and around your home including a floor mop, mop pads, nylon brushes, brass brush, angled nozzle, scrub pad, scraper, squeegee, and more.
- LARGE CAPACITY TANK — The 48-ounce water tank heats up in under 12 minutes and provides up to 90 minutes of steam. Blast away dirt and grime with on-demand variable steam control, optional steam lock for continuous steam, and 58 PSI steam pressure.
- GREATER REACH — Extra-long 18-foot power cord and 10-foot steam hose provide added maneuverability and reach for those hard to get to places.
- SUPERIOR SUPPORT — When you choose a McCulloch product, you’re investing in superior performance and design that will deliver total satisfaction. If not, we’ll replace it, for 2 years. Supported by a customer service team based in Andover, KS.
Before we begin to dive into this bed steam cleaner’s uses, you would be happy to know McCulloch is one of the best companies for steamers; at an affordable price, you’ll receive reliable, powerful, and multi-purpose mattress cleaners.
Not only does this come with over 20 accessories and a 48 oz tank capacity, but it’s also durable, beginner-friendly, and can be used in almost every room in your house.
Coming to the accessories, which include regular add-ons like brushes, nozzles, and a scrapper, also has a floor mop, mop pads, and an extension hose.
Besides that, this bed steamer provides up to 90 minutes of continuous steam, meaning you can clean multiple mattresses without refilling!
The jet nozzle included in this steamer makes cleaning hard surfaces easy, and the scrappers and brushes are handy for removing stains and mold from floors, carpets, furniture, and beds! This is one of the best cleaners for mattresses in the market.
- It comes with 20 valuable accessories
- Great for removing grout and stains from hard surfaces
- It has a water tank with a generous capacity
- Perfect to use on cars
- Some reviewers have complained about this steamer being very loud and the hose being too stiff
Sienna Steam Birdie Handheld Steam Cleaner – Ideal for large mattresses
This is a compact, handheld steamer that’s not only durable but also reliable. With this cleaner, you can start steaming within 30 seconds of switching it on due to its high-tech build.
What we liked the most about this model is that you don’t have to switch off the steamer to refill it, saving you from stopping midway during your deep cleaning sessions to refill!
This steamer is similar to other mattress cleaners on the market, but a unique feature this has is that it only requires tap water.
Tap water can be turned to 1,500 watts of high-powered steam within seconds, making this the ideal steamer for killing bed bugs, mites and removing grime and mold from the kitchen, furniture, fabric, cars, toys, and more.
The high-power steam is useful for sanitizing and disinfecting and is the perfect temperature to get rid of germs and insects, so you can rest easy knowing that your home will be immaculate within minutes!
- Works with tap water
- Easy to use and is beginner-friendly
- Minimal waiting time to start using it
- Operates while being refilled
- It comes with 9, handy accessories
- The accessories aren’t of the highest quality
Why You Should Put More Effort Into Your Mattress Care Routine
We all know our bedding gets filthy. It’s no wonder–consider what we do to it! We sweat, sloth off dead skin, shed hair, and leave behind thousands of germs from our daily grime. Those are just the polite things to mention!
What most people don’t realize is that the mattress gets as dirty as your sheets, especially since most people don’t clean theirs regularly.
As you sweat, you shed up to 1/2 a liter of water, plus oils, dead skin, and germs. While the largest dust and skin particles stay on skin, the smaller ones end up on or in your mattress. And all that sweat and grease sinks into the mattress too!
So, cleaning your mattress should be part of your regular routine. No question about it!
Here’s Our Step-By-Step Guide to Cleaning Your Sleeping Area Properly!
Wash bedding weekly
This is something you should already be doing with sheets, pillowcases, pajamas and duvet covers.
Use high heat settings and a good detergent to kill mites and sanitize fabrics! Throw some unchlorinated bleach in with your load, too. It’s just hydrogen peroxide, so don’t worry about fumes or color changes. It’ll help sanitize and lift stains.
Wash the other stuff at least every 6 months
Pillows should be washed twice yearly, if they’re made from feathers or synthetic fill materials.
Foam and memory foam pillows aren’t usually washable, so you’ll just need to vacuum them thoroughly and do the baking soda treatment we describe below to address odors and germs.
Throw your feather and synthetic pillows in the washer, as long as they can fit without too much bending (curvature is fine, just don’t fold them in half). Wash them on a gentle cycle with an extra rinse, and don’t use too much detergent.
You’ll want to run them through your dryer for at least an hour, if not more. Go longer than you think you need to! It takes a long time to dry the cores of pillows. The dryer will also restore the poof and loft of feather pillows, as long as you throw them in with dryer balls.
Most duvets can be washed in your home machines, although the largest might need to go to a bigger facility.
Use high temperatures to kill dust mites and germs, and be liberal with the unchlorinated bleach to sanitize and remove stains.
As with pillows, duvets need a long time in the dryer, preferably accompanied by dryer balls.
Any covers and liners you use
Mattress/pillowtop covers, liners, and so forth should be washed as often as possible, but every 6 months is a good rule of thumb.
You can usually unzip covers from foam mattresses and toppers. It’s not something that’s easy (or necessary) to do on a weekly basis, but it’s a good part of your twice-yearly routine.
Throw all these in the wash, and use high heat, plenty of soap, and unchlorinated bleach. Wash and dry them thoroughly, just like with your pillows and weekly linens.
Vacuum your mattress every time you strip the bed
This is a great practice to be in, especially if you have a set day of the week when you do cleaning and washing.
You don’t have to be super thorough – just wash the face of the mattress and do a quick inspection for bugs.
Removing dust and dead skin from the surface does a lot to keep mites away. It also makes foam mattresses safer to sleep on!
As foams age, they off-gas fumes which can be respiratory irritants. The gas particles bond with dust, and that’s how you end up breathing them in.
Capturing those particles in a HEPA vacuum solves a lot of the problem.
Flip or rotate it if necessary, and use an upholstery attachment on the surface material. Rotary brush tools can also be helpful, as long as they don’t damage the fabrics. You’ll definitely want to use one of these if you have pets.
Clean it as part of your 6-month regimen
Twice a year, vacuum your mattress thoroughly.
Pay attention to seams, as well as the sides. Do the top and bottom, and spend some time to make sure you’re getting everything!
Strip liners and covers off, and if possible, get out the steam cleaner!
Steam is one of the best things you can do for your mattress. It will kill dust mites and germs inside the actual mattress, where your vacuum can’t reach them. Steam also does wonders in eliminating odors and loosening tough stains.
Go over all the surfaces carefully using either a canister system or a steam mop set to high and fitted with an appropriate attachment.
You want the hottest, driest steam possible, so don’t try to do this with a crappier steam mop or a weak hand unit. You really want a canister system for this, unless you have a powerful steam mop that doesn’t leave too much moisture behind.
If you need help finding one, read our buying guide!
Use an upholstery tool or a larger floor tool, preferably something with a cloth to protect the surface of your mattress.
Plastic nozzles work, but they can tear or scuff some mattress coverings if you’re not very careful. Upright clothes steamers can also work, if you’ve got one!
Use short bursts, and don’t spend too much time over one area. You want to be thorough while avoiding soaking the material. Otherwise, you’re begging for extended drying times and mildew issues.
Steam cleaning is a simple, chemical-free way to deodorize, sanitize, and kill mites/bugs in your mattress!
However, it’s not suitable for every mattress on the market. Always check your mattress’s documentation and warranty terms to see whether steam cleaning is possible.
If your mattress can’t be steam-cleaned, you’ll have to content yourself with vacuuming. You can use an upholstery cleaner for stain removal, but you don’t have as many deep-cleaning options.
Vacuum as well as you can, and then follow up with a baking soda treatment (more on that below).
After steaming or cleaning, allow the mattress to dry. Use fans, open windows, and make sure it can breathe on all sides
As a final step, after steam-cleaning or using a topical detergent, sprinkle baking soda over the entire mattress!
It’s a great way to deodorize and absorb residual moisture. You might think it sounds kooky, but even Consumer Reports recommends it! Leave it for 24 hours, if possible. This is a great thing to do when you’re leaving for a weekend!
Do a final vacuuming to remove the baking soda, and you’ve successfully cleaned your mattress!
While a thorough cleaning like we’ve outlined will do a great job sanitizing and freshening your mattress, you can make your life much easier if you take some additional preventive measures.
We suggest adding some layers of protection to your bedding. It’ll reduce the amount of cleaning you need to do, and protect the valuable pieces (mattresses, pillows).
Doubling up on pillowcases will cut down on mites and smells in your pillows, and adding a liner or cover to your bed does the same.
You can also get an impervious cover that prevents bed bugs from infesting your mattress, even if you’re so unfortunate as to bring them home from a trip.
These work against fleas, too, so they’re a smart investment for any pet owner. It’s much cheaper to buy a cover than to have to replace a mattress, after all!
Check out our guides below for more steam cleaning tips!: